In Switzerland, all vehicles of more than 3.5 tons using the public road network of Switzerland and the Principality of Liechtenstein must pay toll. The electronic toll collection system is based on GNSS technology.
Variable vehicle parameters to be declared by the on- board unit:
- Number of axles: Actual number of axles of the trailer
- Trailer weight: The gross weight of the trailer (F.2) shall be updated when attached to the tractor
- Transport mode: the transport mode includes the period when the vehicle does not move on its own, e.g. the vehicle is loaded onto a train. In this case, the user must activate transport mode via the on-board unit. After activating the transport mode, the on-board unit lights up in red. The distance travelled in transport mode is not charged with toll.
TollPass EUROBOX automatic toll reporting service is only applicable to vehicles that are not registered in Switzerland.
The toll is charged throughout the public road network of:
- Principality of Liechtenstein
- German enclave of Bussingen
- Italian enclave of Campione d'Italia
- customs route at Basel-Mulhouse Airport
In Switzerland, VAT is not applicable.